Friday, September 23, 2011

Snacking in Sydney!

Hello, everyone!

Just got back from our Sydney Food Trip and still a bit knackered, to be honest. But great fun was had, and there's so much to blog about so I'm excited!

This trip would've been my third time to Sydney in four years. After my first two trips, I felt like I was pretty much done for a while... But after seeing/reading/drooling over all the food that I've seen on TV/Internet since then, I felt like I really have to make another trip up there!

After all, my first trip was spent pretty much doing all the touristy things. Second, was for the Hillsong Conference. Now, my third, has to be all dedicated to FOOD! This time, being a Food Trip, we really did eat non-stop from morning till night. That's why I've got so many "in between meals" snacks to share about, which I've compiled into this post.

And when we weren't eating, we were just lazing around in the sun, what a bunch of fatties. So anyhoo, I'm going to start off my first series of Sydney posts with snippets of the snacks we ate in between our meals. This wasn't all of them, but just the ones I thought worth sharing. Will get back to posting recipes and reviews from the other amazing restaurants I ate in Sydney, including Australia's current No.1 Restaurant, MARQUE!

Lots of scheduled posts from hereon, so don't forget to keep coming back! Have fun, everybuddy! =D



Mick's Bakehouse, Westfield CBD Gourmet Food Hall

We had trouble finding the place at first, but the Gourmet Food Hall is at the top floor of the shopping centre, at the opposite side of Myers



Some of the most golden pies I've ever seen


Classic Beef Pie
(I'd like to say Stroganoff cause of the cream??)

Pastry was just okay but filling was really nice. Good flavours and liked the thickness of the sauce, nice consistency. I could have a whole bowl of just the filling themselves. Yum


Surf 'n' Turf Pie

We found the mince rather salty and wished there were more prawns. But really loved the soft creamy cheese you get occasionally from each bite when eating this

Pie by Mick's Bakehouse on Urbanspoon


Chatime, Westfield CBD Gourmet Food Hall




Passionfruit Green Tea

Refreshing. Totally quenched my thirst. Had this only cause according to them, was their number 1 drink. I had the Roasted Milk Tea with Pearls a few days later and thought they were fantastic. Do try

Website: here



Meet Fresh, Sydney Chinatown




Supreme Mango Crushed Ice

Huge portion and lots of mango, but I thought it was okay. Definitely makes for a refreshing dessert in Summer. I don't know, I still think that when it comes to Mango desserts, it really does come down to the Mango you use. And we all know that Mangoes aren't exactly cheap or in season in Australia all year round. Could do with a little less ice too. Just my humble opinion anyway, don't be hatin'


Taro Balls with Sweet Potato, Barley and Pearls

This, I enjoyed a bit more. Just like the glutinous rice balls or "tang yuan" you ate at home but with a faint taste of taro and sweet potato. I really enjoyed all the other ingredients and never had a dish with all of these together. Come to think of it, it probably would have been better to have this dessert warm instead of cold

Meet Fresh on Urbanspoon


Workshop Espresso, Sydney CBD

Quaint little cafe directly opposite of QVB on George Street. Immediately wanted to try it



Standard Latte and Hazelnut "Lobster Tail"

The beans tasted nice, but I couldn't help but find the coffee a bit thin and watery. But then again, I'm no coffee expert, no. My friends felt it too. But when we went back the next day, it was a different barrista, so.......

On the other hand, that "lobster tail" pastry was SO GOOD. It totally piqued my interest to try as soon as I saw it. I don't know what they used, but you could taste all the layers in each bite because it was so firm but insanely crunchy. The softened Nutella in the middle was such a joy. LOVED this! Nice, tiny snack with your coffee, too.

Workshop Espresso on Urbanspoon


Bondi Surf Seafoods, Bondi Beach

I came here for one reason only and nothing else: Fried Mars Bars. I had this last time I was in Sydney and was HOOKED. Not sure if it's true, but this place was believed to be the pioneer of Fried Mars Bars in Australia. Though you can get it at many places in Sydney and some in Melbourne now, I still really wanted to revisit this place for nostalgic reasons.



Fried Pineapple Rings, Fried Banana, Fried Mars Bars

I did not care for anything else, but the Fried Mars Bars, to be honest. And they were actually better than when I last had them! Huh. Mainly cause the batter was so much crispier. I don't eat Mars Bars at all, but this was an exception. The way you bite into the crunchy exterior dusted with icing sugar to get to the soft, melted chocolatey filling..... Heaven


Please try this if you've never had this in Sydney before

Website: here



Hurricane Express, Bondi Beach

For me, I've been to the restaurant twice before this and there wasn't anything much I'd like to eat at the restaurant besides the ribs, which makes for a great snack too. So, I actually prefer buying them from their takeaway restaurant just next door. Also, it's about $10 cheaper for a full rack. Score!


Though I must say that the Bondi branch was significantly better than the Darling Harbour branch. Or was it just a once off bad experience I had there that time. There were just too many people, they were rushing us in and out and in the end, our ribs came out SO dry. This time at Bondi, it was great


Half 'n' Half: Lamb and Pork ribs

Sauce was delicious and ribs were basted beautifully. Tasted like southern, smokey BBQ with a hint of Ketchup and much more. Lamb was slightly tough, but I actually really liked it that way. Ribs was as you say, falling off the bones. GREAT snack, just eating ribs with your hands by the beach

Hurricane's Grill on Urbanspoon


Gumshara Ramen, Sydney Chinatown


Garlic Tonkatsu Ramen

Finally, another place I really wanted to try and glad I did. I liked that the soup was thick (from fats and collagen?) and that they didn't use MSG. Unmistakable pork flavour from first sip. Though to be honest, a bit too "porky" because it did have a bit of the smell as most pork in Australia tend to have. Hmm...

Not to sound pompous or anything, I couldn't help but feel slightly turned off by the hygiene of the food court. Would have enjoyed it more if I were eating at somewhere cleaner =/. Overall, pretty good and natural flavours

Gumshara Ramen on Urbanspoon



Baskin Robbins Ice Cream, Circular Quay

Edit: Loooool sorry, everybody. I was a complete airhead earlier and have mistaken this place for Ben n Jerry's, when it's actually Baskin Robbins. Thanks to my friend who actually brought it to my attention *shy* ;p


Berries Cheesecake and Caramel Pecan (???)

Sorry, couldn't remember the exact names of the flavours. But you'll know which it is if you see it. I liked the cheesecake one a lot and the flavours were fun. The other, not so much. Too sandy for me.

Website: here




Overall, it was a great trip filled with fun, food, laughter and I'm glad I got to spend my time with these amazing people.


Looking forward to my next visit back! Because, Sydney, your food and weather has been really incredible.

As mentioned, there will be lots of scheduled posts coming up. Next one will be a recipe, and then back to posting food from restaurants in Sydney, so do stay tuned! Take care, everyone!

Hope it was a fun post for you as it was for me! =)

20 comments :

Jade said...

looks awesome =) I've never tried fried mars bars... looks better than pisang goreng at any rate!

Winston said...

hi, jade! yes, those fried mars bars were made of epic WIN. apparently you can get them at williamstown, but i'm not sure if the batter will be similar to this. i hope you get to try them one day ;D

Shu Han said...

jealous! thanks for the super comprehensive post though, even with website links! will be very helpful if I ever get to Sydney! (:

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

It's been years since I visited Sydney. I would love to try some of that food. The hazelnut pastry looks incredible!

Winston said...

@shu han: my pleasure! do feel free to let me know if there's any help you need if you happen to visit aus one day! though to be honest, i was already trying VERY hard to keep descriptions as short as possible! worried this post was going to turn out too long =/

@leaf: oh really? you should, then! haha... ive done a lot of research for food this trip and am quite happy with our food itinerary this trip tbh... will share a copy of it another time for ppl visiting. anyway, pastry was AMAZING!! it's so clever and cute too.. "lobster tail" lol... am sure you'll like it ;)

Michelle Chin said...

let me spill to you this dirty secret: i have not been to sydney before! HAHAHAHAAHAH.

T________T actually i feel kinda sad for it.

Vee said...

Tsk all the way to Sydney and you used up 1% of your stomach on Chatime: shameful! ;) Haha I kid, I second your call on Meet Fresh and the ramen though. And even though I stay at Bondi Junction when I go to Sydney, I don't think I'll be touching that fried mars bar haha *grease shudder*

Winston said...

@michelle: mich, don't feel sad!! if you plan early, you can actually get tix and accommodation really cheap, which is a great incentive to go and spend more money on food! haha... i hope you get to go one day since youre a TOTAL foodie and maybe with your family =D. now planning to bring my folks there too

@vee: no lah... chatime makes for a nice drink for "the in between meals" while you're walking around haha... i do like the passionfruit green tea and roasted milk tea tho... oh, great that you think that way too! it's such a popular place i was afraid of offending ppl, but just being honest haha... =)

Miss Su said...

great post!!! OMG the pics loook so pro!!! wouldnt have been able to take half as good as the ones you posted up! well done ;) glad you guys enjoyed yourselves in Sydney! come back again!!! hehe

Winston said...

Thanks, Miss Su!! Are you sure?? Cause I'm such a big fan of your photography! You always know what you're doing and piks never fail to turn out GREAT. What a huge compliment from you thanks btw haha...

Believe it or not, I'm sorta planning my next trip cause I was thinking a lot about my family during the trip and I really hope I can bring them there one day because my folks have always wanted to go but never got the chance! Hopefully soon hehe...

The InTolerant Chef ™ said...

I love that you had such a full food intinery, this way you get to sample as many types of food in as little time as possible!
I love it when the noodle broth is thick and 'sticky, it means it's made properly, but I'm like you, I enjoy my food more when not worried about hygiene. If the front is dirty where the customers can see and judge, what's the back like where no one can?

Winston said...

Yes, we had a whole list of places to choose from at the start and once we did, we really just planned our day/activities around our meals haha... It was fun. The broth was very natural, I must say. You can see the guy at the back whacking the whole pig with a hammer so that it could fit into the pot. Shows that they used everything so you get the collagen + fats. But, yeah... Ditto on hygiene =/

Fatbooo said...

Love food dedicated holidays. All anyone needs to do is suggest it, and I'd say yes yes yes! :p

Winston said...

Yeah, me too!! Say the words "food holiday" and I've already got my hands in the air before you know it! Though, I'm usually the one suggesting, too impulsive lol... Fun thing to do with friends nonetheless! Just eating and eating and making memories of eating... Good times ;D Thanks for your comment =)

Anonymous said...

Great to read about all your food adventures in Sydney. Glad to hear you had a great time here.

Winston said...

Thanks, Ellie. I really did! It was an unforgettable trip. Till now, we still laugh at the fact that we can't believe we actually planned a whole trip just around the FOOD. Great experience, you're so lucky to live in Sydney with all these amazing restaurants everywhere! =)

msihua said...

What the? The only thing I had which was similar to you was Gumshara!! ahahaha.. completely different food itinerary!!

Winston said...

I guess so...! Well, you know what that means, "SYDNEY FOOD TRIP -- ROUND 2"!!! Hehehe... There's just too many amazing places to try there so I'm sure every one's "list" would be slightly different. Too many places, too little time... Do share your itinerary if I happen to go to Sydney again! =D

Iron Chef Shellie said...

ahhhhhhhhhh i wanted to go to bondi, but couldn't remember why... DEEP FRIED MARSBAR IS WHY!!! ... although kinda glad I didn't have one of those :P

Winston said...

Hahhahaha, Michele! I can't believe you left out the deep fried mars bars...! i know it's bad for you and all, but... "when on holiday", right??? its one of the most sinful yet delicious things to eat! lollll....

Post a Comment